We all know that Laptops are the compact versions of desktops. It is a type of computer that you can carry anywhere that you go. Depending on your requirement, you can choose a computer that best suits you.
Did you know that many specifications differ from one laptop to another? Yes, that’s right. Depending upon the company that manufactures it and the resources that are available, the features offered by a laptop is different from the other.
The goal however remains the same. Computers were made to make it easier for us to carry out basic as well as complex operations and to solve problems. The first-ever laptop was built in the year 1981 by Adam Osborne. Since then, several revolutionary changes have been made to the way laptops are made and in the way that they function.
There are several benefits that laptops offer. Some of them are as mentioned below;
- Portable nature.
- Compact size.
- Connection to multiple external devices.
- Easy to use.
- Less power consumption.
- Works on battery.
Owning a laptop can be a big deal. You are investing your money and time into it so you must ensure that you get the best deal. You can get the best cost-effective laptop if you are clear about certain things beforehand.
Various points are recommended to be kept in mind. They are as mentioned below;
- Choose a Platform: Before you make the purchase, be sure about what platform you are comfortable working with. You have got options to choose from Windows, Linux, and Mac iOS. The features and functionalities of each of these are different from the others. The performance that they offer isn’t the same either. The cost is dependent on all of the above factors accordingly.
- 2-in-1: Many laptops offer multipurpose use. It has been observed that their system is capable of working in more than one way. Some of the laptops fulfill the 2-in-1 category. This can mean that the laptop screen is detachable and can be used as a tablet.
It is up to you to decide whether you want a 2-in-1 laptop or not.
- The right size: It is necessary to get a laptop that is not too big or too small. The size of a laptop defines its portability. You can choose from a range of 11-18 inches of laptop. There are various options to choose from if you want the best budget small laptop.
- Cross-checking the Keyboard and Touchpad: To ensure that the laptop you purchase is in the best functioning condition, you must check whether the keyboard and the touchpad are entirely functional.
- Decide on the Specs: If you are a computing enthusiast then you must already be aware of the specifications that you want on your laptop. Even if you are not aware, it’s not a big deal. Just be sure of what you want your laptop to do for you and how much processor power you get.
- Focus on the Battery Life: Portable laptops function on batteries and so their charging ability should be up to the mark. You should not compromise on the battery capacity being offered by a laptop.
- Budget: If you decide the budget, it can be easier for you to choose from the available variety. Laptops can range from low to high, depending on their brand value, features offered, year of manufacture, etc.
- Brand Value: Several companies in the market manufacture different types of laptops. You should choose the one that gives you more efficiency in terms of performance, budget, and features.
Some of the key features that you can look for in the laptop that you wish to purchase are as follows;
- Thunderbolt 3 ports.
- OLED displays.
- High-screen resolutions.
- Core processor type.
- Graphics card or GPU.
- 8GB RAM or more.
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi.
- Infrared Camera, etc.
Depending upon the work for which it is used laptops can be categorized into types. It can be as mentioned;
- ZBook and GS60 for Power Users.
- MacBook Pro and ZBook for Artists.
- GS60 Ghost Pro and G750JH-DB71 for Gamers.
- T1000 Transformer Book and Aspire E5 for Average Use.
- MacBook Air and X555LA-DB71 for Students.
Like mentioned before, the features offered by each of these types of a laptop is different than the other.
Gaming laptops have gained popularity in recent times. Currently, the most affordable gaming laptop is the Lenovo Legion Y545. It has 16GB RAM with a 2.6-GHz Intel Core i7-9750H processor. It can cost anywhere between $799 to $999.
Some of the top gaming laptops are as mentioned below;
- Alienware m17 R3
- Dell G3 15
- Alienware Area 51m
- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
- Asus ROG Mothership
- Lenovo Legion Y545
- HP Omen 17
- HP Omen 15
- Acer Predator Triton 500
- MSI GS66 Stealth
- Gigabyte Aero 17 HDR
- Asus ROG Strix Scar III
- Razer Blade Pro 17
- Razer Blade 15
- MSI GT76 Titan
A laptop is deemed as best if it offers optimum performance and high-specs. The availability of laptops in one region or a country may be different from the other. As per statistics, currently, the best laptop for home use in India is the Dell XPS 13. Its specifications are as follows;
- Display: 13.4 inches; 1,920 x 1,080-3,840 x 2,160
- RAM: 8GB-16GB
- CPU: 10th-Generation Intel Core i3-i7
- Storage: 256GB-2TBGB SSD
- GPU: Intel UHD to Intel Iris Plus
- Weight: 2.64 pounds
Dell XPS 13 has also won the inaugural Tom’s Guide Award under the best laptop category. Many changes have been made in the 2020s launched model. One of them is that the touchpad is 17% larger. Another addition is the keyboard now being edge-to-edge.
Some people prefer desktops over laptops for home use. If you are opting for a laptop, then you should choose the one that’s best for the type of work that you wish to carry out. Working from home can be made easier if your laptop is efficient and can carry out all the required work.
It is best to do your research before making the purchase. You can visit an electronic store for further assistance. You can also order the laptop online if you are well aware of the type and the specifications that you need.